Tear-away stabilizers are temporary backings for embroidery and comes in various thinknesses for various uses.
Perfect for all types of decorative stitch-work including embroidery, appliqué, cut-work and monogramming. It is fast and easy-to-use, prevents fabric from puckering, and adds stability to the design area.
Types of Tear Away Stabilizers
Heavy Weight Tear-Away (70 gsm)
- Tears away very cleanly and easily – stiff edges are easy to grasp
- Supports large number of stitches
- Great for items that need more support for heavier stitch count designs
Medium Weight Tear-Away (60gsm)
- Available in black and white.
- Firm tear away, but very easy to remove.
Light Weight Tear-Away (40 & 45gsm)
- The lightest weight of the tear away stabilizers – adds very little weight to the project.
- Easy to tear away leaving a very clean edge.
- Can be printed on and used for paper piecing.
- Great for use when stitching decorative stitches on the sewing side.
- Only available in white.
Fabrics Used On
They can be used on all fabrics with the exception of stretchy fabric or knits or very sheer fabrics.
Directions of Use
- Place the embroidery with the stabilizer side up on a flat surface.
- Support the stitches with your fingers as you carefully tear the excess stabilizer away.
- Some tight open areas within the design may be very hard to remove and can be left on the back of the project.
- For most tear away stabilizers these areas will eventually begin to disintegrate with repeated washings.
Generally it’s easy to remove, although care should be taken when removing not to pull or stretch the fabric.